Monday, January 02, 2006

Supporting our Troops

Yes, we all know our country is in the middle of the most unnecessary, prolonged war. The world is forever changed. Every war eliminates innocence. Especially for these young men who honor our country. However, they need and deserve the ultimate respect. Imagine spending whatever holiday you celebrate on a cold ship in the middle of a place you don't know. During the 10 days I spent with mom in Bahrain, we were fortunate to meet two such men and provide them with some Yankee conversation. Dmitriy, 21 from Russia but grew up partly in Boston-what an accent! Fast talker, lots of personality, and a definite charmer. And Steve, from Tennessee-quiet, shy, sweet and very polite.
Mom and I heading out to the one of two cool 'discos'-everything is a disco since I've moved-the word 'club' seems to not to have made it's way here yet. Dmitriy confidently approaches our table and asks if he and Steve can join...But of course! I had to pay him a huge compliment for not being a wallflower.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

We proceed to have a really fun night with these two and at the end of the night I gave Dmitriy mom's cell number to call.
Indeed, the boys called. Not feeling much like going out-Mom suggests I invite them over and we could watch 'Friends' and eat something in. More than thrilled with the idea-they come over and hang out until 11:45-as they can't be late for their 12:30 curfew.
We had the best time, laughing, chatting. But the best part was offering them the warmth of a home with a Christmas tree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home